Useful phrases for asking for help, asking for opinions and asking for approval in English.
Learn more about useful English phrases for asking for information.
How to Ask for Help in English
We all need help sometimes. In English, it is not polite to ask directly. So there are many phrases that we can say before a request to ‘soften’ it:
* Can you give me a hand with this?
* Could you help me for a second?
* Can I ask a favour?
* I wonder if you could help me with this?
* I could do with some help, please.
* I can’t manage. Can you help?
* Give me a hand with this, will you?
* Lend me a hand with this, will you?
* Could you spare a moment?
* I need some help, please.
* Could you please help me out with…?
* Would you mind showing me …?
* Is there any chance you have time to …?
* Could you please explain to me …?
* Please can you do me a favour?
* Please help me with… .
* Is it possible for you to …?
* I was wondering if you could please show me how to ….
* Do you have any free time on/at …(day, date, time)?
* Do you know anything about …?
* I am having a problem with … Do you think you can help me?
* If you don’t mind, I could really use your assistance with…?
* If you don’t mind, I really need your help with …
* I know your good at/with …, and I really could use some help.
* I heard you are really good at/with …. Is their any chance that you could help me?
* Is their any chance you that you could give me a hand with…?
* I heard that you have a lot of experience with …, and I could really use your help.
Asking Somebody’s Opinion
* What do you think of…?
* What do you think about…?
* How d’you feel (about…)?
* What d’you reckon (about…)?
* What’s your opinion of…?
* (What do think about) that?
* What are your views on…?
* Where do you stand (on…)?
* What would you say to… / if we…?
* Are you aware of…..?
* Do you think … ?
* How do you feel about … ?
* In your opinion, … ?
* Please tell me your opinion on …
* What do you think about … ?
* What’s your opinion on … ?
* Can you give me your thoughts on … ?
* Do you (dis)approve of … ?
* Do you agree with the opinion that … ?
* Do you have any views on … ?
* Do you share the/my view that … ?
* If I asked your opinion about … , … ?
* If I said … , … ?
* I’d like (to hear) your views on …
* I’m sure you’d agree that …
* What are your feelings about … ?
* What are your views on … ?
* From your point of view, … ?
* I know this is not your specialist subject, but …
* I know you haven’t had long to think about this …
* I know you haven’t had much time to think about this, but …
* I’d be (very) interested to hear your views on …
* What are your (first) thoughts on … ?
* What would be your reaction if I said … ?
* What’s your position on … ?
* Would it be right to say … ?
* Would you support the view that … ?
* I imagine you will have strong opinions on …
* I’d guess your view on this is …
* Is it in fact the case that … ?
* What reaction do you have to … ?
* What’s your take on … ?
* Would I be right in assuming that you think … ?
* Would I be right in saying … ?
* Would I/it be wrong to say … ?
* Would it be logical to say … ?
* Would you have any problems with the statement … ?
* Would … be a fair summary of your views on … ?
* Would … be out of the question?
* You strike me as someone who would hold the opinion that …
Learn more useful phrases of how to express your opinions in English
Sometimes we are not sure if it’s a good idea to do something. So we need useful expressions for asking if other people agree with an idea or intended action.
* Do you think it’s all right to do it?
* What do you think about (me doing that)?
* Do you think / reckon I ought to (do it)?
* What would you say if I (did it)?
* Would you approve of (doing something)?
* What is your attitude to the idea of…
* Are you in favour of (me doing something)?
* You are in favour of … aren’t you?
* Do you think anyone would mind if I…
* Would it be really awfuil if I…
Useful Phrases for Asking for Opinions | Image
Asking for Opinions with ESL image.